Healthy Corner Stores and Restaurants
Objective: Guiding customers to make healthy choices through food placement and promotion.
Promote Healthier Beverages
- Limit portion sizes of sodas in checkout-lane coolers to 12 ounces or less.
- Label healthy beverages in the soda aisles and checkout-lane coolers as “healthy alternative to sugar sweetened beverages.”
- Make water available in all checkout-lane coolers.
- For in-store bakeries, use whole grains in at least 25% of breads (e.g., buns, rolls, loaves,
- Designate space in shopping carts for fruits and vegetables.
- Place children’s cereals with lowest nutritional profile on shelves at least 66.3 inches high.
- Increase the display space of select fruits and vegetables.
- Offer mini-size bagels, pastries, and half sandwiches in the deli.
Education and Promotions
- Offer taste testing of fruits, vegetables, and/or other whole foods.
- Distribute healthy recipes in store.
- Conduct in-store food demonstrations.
- Host in-store cooking classes.
- Offer grocery store tours.
- Offer in-store scavenger hunt for kids.
- Advertise produce as “local” or “regional” or display producer biographies.
- Create grab-and-go veggie and fruit medleys and label packages with the number of servings of fruits and vegetables.
- Create healthy brown-bag lunches to-go.